The first school in Želva might be opened in 1740-1755 by the Jesuits. Encyclopedic facts suggest that there was a school in Želva in 1859. The first documented facts about our school date back to 1909, when the first state educational institution – Bikoniai Popular School in Pozelva settlement was opened in a private house there.
As the number of learners was strongly increasing, a big spacious and comfortable schoolhouse was built in 1939 and it was financed by the state. This primary school was reformed into a pre-gymnasia in 1944 and in 1946 it became a gymnasia. Since 1950 it has been called a Secondary School. In 1970 a large extension to the old school building with 12 new classrooms and a gym was put up. The school history museum, founded in 1959, is widely known and has a rich collection of exhibits.
The 65th group of school-leavers graduated from our school in 2014. The educational facilities at school are good: modern methods of teaching, IT are applied, different projects are implemented. Our schoolchildren are successful in various contests and sports competitions.
Great attention is paid to artistic training of the learners: our dance society and a junior choir are constant participants of National Song and Dance Festivals. It has become a tradition to organize the Weeks of Arts, “Poetry Springs”, Reunion Days of former graduates. The newspaper “Jaunimėlis” is published there. Our children study music and arts in Želva branch of Ukmergė Art School.Atnaujinta: 2021-06-09